We are seeking to augment our current development team with a strong software development manager to oversee software development efforts within the Mifos Initiative. The Mifos Software Development Manager will oversee a small team of staff developers and coordinate with external developers – contract and volunteer – as well as the Mifos program management team to build a world-class platform for microfinance. This position reports to the Director of the Mifos Initiative.
The ideal candidate will have extremely strong technical skills, experience managing developers, a solid focus on customer-facing requirements, and familiarity with open source software development and agile development methodologies. This is a hands-on position; the software development manager will be expected to work in the code as well as at a management and strategic level.
Essential Job Functions:
• Actively engage with the Mifos code base; write code, tests, and review code from other internal and external contributors
• Manage software developers on the Mifos team
• Act as primary contact between software development team and other teams on the Mifos Initiative; work with program management team to drive technical solutions to functionality and other technical requirements in the software
• Set technical priorities for Mifos in cooperation with other developers, Mifos management, and program management and business managers
• Understand user requirements and translate to technical requirements
• Drive architectural discussions and decisions for key strategies and functionality (such as hosted model, front-end interfaces, and reporting functionality)
• Define and drive requirements for software development infrastructure; work with program management to get that infrastructure built
• Key contributor to overall Mifos vision and roadmap
• Drive overall software development strategy and key tactics to achieve the vision
• Co-owns (with program management) core technical features such as security
• Manages software development contractors; works closely with program management to identify, vet, and acquire software development contractors
Requirements and Skills:
• 5+ years experience writing code as a software developer using object oriented techniques; demonstrated ability to ship
• Experience managing other developers strongly preferred
• Experience with (and fondness for) test-driven development and agile development practices (short iterations, extensive automated testing, pair programming, continuous integration)
• Superb technical skills from code to architecture; 3 years of experience with Java/J2EE (preferably) or C++ enterprise applications. Experience with Struts, Hibernate and MVC design pattern highly desired.
• Ability to quickly earn respect and credibility with super smart software developers
• A passion for elegant code
• Experience with development on open source projects strongly preferred
• Ability and interest in engaging in functional and strategy discussions; strong capacity to take on a wide variety of technical and non-technical challenges
• Strong focus on end user experience
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to move from deep technical discussions through functional discussions to strategic conversations with ease
• Exposure to low bandwidth environments and developing countries helpful.
• Passion for the mission of Grameen Foundation and the Mifos Initiative
• Willingness to travel internationally and domestically.
• Fluency in English required.
To learn more about the Mifos Initiative, visit http://www.mifos.org and http://mifos.sourceforge.net.
This position will be based at Grameen Technology Center in our Seattle offices. To apply, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
GRAMEEN FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
payscale: Competitive on a non-profit scale
job type: full-time
posted by gconard to Nonprofit