[Seasonal] Site Manager - United Way Free Tax Preparation Campaign
October 1, 2012 4:31 PM
Longtime Mefite here. Looking to hire a few people to help with our upcoming Free Tax Campaign. I know this isn't the typical developer job that normally gets posted on this board but thought some people might be interested!
Site Managers provide coordination, organization and supervision for operation of one free tax preparation site in King County. Managers must provide strong customer service to clients coming into sites, ensure quality in the returns filed, and answer tax-related questions that volunteers may have.
Prior experience in tax law is not required.
United Way of King County will provide training which will include advanced tax certification.
We are hiring for multiple positions in locations throughout King County, with hours ranging from 15 -- 40 hours a week during the tax season (site hours & locations available on application website). The position is seasonal, with trainings in November to January and tax sites open from January 15th to April 15th.
United Way of King County's Free Tax Preparation Campaign helps low income families increase their economic stability by connecting them with free tax preparation services, access to public benefits, and asset building opportunities. In 2012, 650 volunteers prepared 14,400 tax returns, returning clients $20.7 million in tax refunds to the community. The Free Tax Preparation Campaign will offer services at 17 sites throughout King County in 2013. Each site will be staffed by volunteers and a paid Site Manager.
- Oversee preparation of tax returns and confirm all returns are correct.
- Ensure smooth operation of the free tax preparation site.
- Provide excellent support to the volunteers, answering any questions they may have.
- Provide excellent customer service to clients coming into the site, resolving any issues they may have and making sure they receive all the services they are eligible for.
- Troubleshoot technology issues such as printer installation or minor laptop malfunctions.
- Submit required statistical reports to Tax Campaign staff each week during tax season.
- Passion for helping low-income families and individuals build assets.
- Strong site and volunteer management skills
- Organized and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to deal with the clients in a helpful and supportive manner.
- Experience with individual tax returns OR the ability to learn tax law.
- Ability to speak a second language in addition to English is helpful, but not required.
This position is seasonal. Site Managers are hired from November to April. Specifically:
- 15-40 hours per week during tax season (January 15th to April 15th), for site operating hours and transmission of tax returns. The exact time required depends on specific hours of operation, size of the site, and volume of customer traffic. Some sites are open only during evenings and weekends.
- Site Manager training and other requirements:
- Independently complete IRS online tax law training and certification tests.
- Participate in site manager training on Nov. 10th, 17th, Dec. 1st, from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, and Jan. 7th, from 6 PM to 8 PM.
- Attend and assist in 3 volunteer training sessions (all day): Dec. 8th, 9th, 15th, 16th, and Jan. 5th, 6th, 12th, 13th.
- Participate in brief weekly conference calls throughout tax season.
Weekly reporting of tax returns, completed public benefits referral's, and asset building interest.
- Monetary stipend -- $3,000 to $10,000, paid out over 3 periods (after training, half-way through tax season, at the end of tax season). Stipend amount based on hours of operation.
If you would like to apply please complete the following two steps by October 5th
payscale: $3,000 - $10,000
job type: contract
posted by carpyful to accounting/finance